Air conditioning is one of the saving graces from the summer heat, but it is only good if it works. To ensure that it will work properly when you need it, you need to take care of it by having regular air conditioning system inspections. Here is everything you need to know about how and when to get an air conditioning system inspection and what to expect from the process.
Air Conditioning System Inspection
Why Get an Air Conditioning System Inspected?
It is important to get your air conditioner inspected so it does not stop working on you unexpectedly. It is easy to forget about your AC all winter, but as soon as the temperatures start to climb, you will most certainly want to start using it. You do not want to wait until the first hot day of the year to discover that there is a problem with your air conditioner. Getting an inspection will help to ensure your AC will work when you need it to.
How Much Money will Getting an Air Conditioning System Inspected Save?
Although you will have to pay for a technician to come out and inspect the system, you will save money in the long run. If you fail to have the inspection done and something goes wrong, it can cost thousands of dollars to replace the entire AC system. If the system only needs replacement parts, that can still cost a significant amount of money in comparison to a once-yearly inspection bill. Further, getting your AC inspected by a qualified technician can help you save money on your energy bill. When your air conditioner is functioning at its optimal level, it requires less energy, which will decrease your overall cost.
How Often Does an Air Conditioning System Need to be Inspected?
In most cases, having an air conditioning inspection once a year is sufficient to make sure everything is in working order. However, systems that are older may need to be inspected more often than that.
When Should the Air Conditioning Inspection Take Place?
The best time to have your air conditioning system inspected is in the spring. That way it is fresh and ready to go before the hot weather hits.
What can you Expect During the Air Conditioning System Inspection?
A qualified technician will come to your house to perform your air conditioning inspection. During the inspection, you can expect the technician will perform the following duties:
- Examining and cleaning the filters.
- Replacing the filters if necessary.
- Checking the lines for obstructions and draining them if necessary.
- Checking the condenser coils and cleaning them if necessary.
- Removing trash from within the air conditioning unit to ensure the motor runs smoothly.
- Checking the thermostat operation.
- Inspecting the disconnect.
- Inspecting fuses and wiring.
- Tightening all electrical connections.
- Inspecting and testing relays and pressure controls.
- Checking voltage and amperage supply to all motors.
- Inspecting duct seals.
- Inspecting ductwork for energy loss.
- Testing that all fluids are within proper specs.
- Inspecting safety devices.
- Inspecting condenser fan blades.
- Inspecting services valves.
Who Should You Hire to Inspect Your Air Conditioning System?
You need to hire someone who is qualified to work on air conditioning systems to ensure a thorough job is done. Your best bet is to find someone who is a licensed HVAC Contractor and has considerable experience in the business. Do not be shy to ask for references or to request proof of certification. Competent and legitimate AC inspectors will not hesitate to provide you with the requested information.
Benefits of an Air Conditioning System Inspection
Additional benefits of getting an air conditioning system inspection include:
- Significant savings on your energy bill.
- Extended life of your HVAC system.
- Improved comfort levels in your home.
- Catching small issues before they become big problems.
- Peace of mind for the homeowner.
Having a yearly air conditioning system inspection is a smart and responsible move for a homeowner. Taking this crucial step can save you money, prevent a stressful situation and give you increased peace of mind. It is truly a decision every homeowner should make.
If you are ready to sell your home, Ben Buys Indy Houses will take it off your hands, even if you have not had an air conditioning system inspection. In fact, we will take your house no matter what condition it is in. Contact us today to see how we can help you.